Sunday, February 10, 2013

Tasting - Black Opal Shiraz

Name: Black Opal Shiraz
Variety: 100% Shiraz
Region: South Eastern Australia
Country: Australia
Year: 2011
Price: $5.95

Winery review: The Black Opal wines are sourced from vineyards found in South Australia along the Limestone Coast, at Langhorne Creek and in the infamous Barossa Valley. Black Opal Shiraz is rich red in the glass. Aromas of blackberry, pepper and spice followed with rich plum flavors round out the palate. Soft tannins give structure to the fruit-driven palate. - Vintage Cellar Tasting Notes

My review: I suppose I had bad luck with the February 7th tastings at the Vintage Cellar. I definitely did not care for this wine. I immediately tasted the bold peppery taste within the first sip. The tannins in this wine were well balanced but rich. This wine was well-rounded with both fruity and spicy notes but it was too intense for my liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment